- Why should you winterize your above ground pool
- How to close an above ground pool
- Step 1: Arrange and confirm the exact winterizing time
- Step 2: Check the pH and other chemical levels
- Step 3: Wash the pool, pool filter, and skimmer
- Step 4: Consider using the suitable winter chemical kit
- Step 5: Clean the filter system
- Step 6: Reduce the water level
- Step 7: Turn all power cords of the pump and filter
- Step 8: Blow and use an air pillow
- Step 9: Use pool covers
- Step 10: Close the pump and filter system
- What is an air pillow?
- Since you are there…
Close an above ground pool is a must for protecting it. Nonetheless, most of the people still have the foggiest idea. How to winterize an above ground pool?
Getting an above ground pool at home is great; especially for those who have kids. Behind the scene, you have to set up a pool and maintain it. When it comes to maintaining, you also need to winterize it. It is essential to prepare the above ground pool before winter is coming. The point is how to winterize an above ground pool.
Why should you winterize your above ground pool
Winterizing an above ground pool is also a hot topic to discuss as some people think that it is not important to do that. And others advice pool owners should close the swimming pool during the winter season.
To determine, you should think of benefits and downsides of winterizing. Then, you will recognize how well or worse of doing this. Thereafter, you can know how do you winterize an above ground saltwater pool?
If you do not winterize, you will have…
- You may relish the beauty of the pool during the cold season even there is snow inside or surrounding the pool. At the same time, you are able to enjoy the peaceful atmosphere of running water pool in this period of time.
- You do not have to pay other pool kits or winterization materials to close your pool.
- You will break the plumbing lines and pipes bursting and freezing. It will give you a bundle of cash on the wallet.
- You will have to continue the maintenance process of your swimming pool such as cleaning, checking the filter and pump system, skimmer, and balancing the freezing condition as well.
If you close your pool in the winter, you will get…
- The core purpose of winterizing an above ground pool is protecting it and preventing the pool from damage because of higher temperatures. In the freezing and cold seasons like Michigan, Texas, and Canada, this will save your pool for a while. You obviously diminish the risk of destroying your plumbing lines when closing your swimming pool.
- Though you have to prepare the winterizing job in a few months before winter, you still reduce the tasks of keeping the pool in the cold season.
- You do not have to settle dollars on buying chemicals and other vital supplies. You also save many bucks on electricity and water as well.
- The algae development around the pool is increasing when your pool is closed in winter and opened again in spring.
- You must create winter cover ideas and purchase the right cover. Also, you need to take time to review some brands on the market.
How to close an above ground pool
It is not truly difficult to undertake an above ground pool winterizing. However, you should follow these steps to protect your pool from using in the next spring. If not, you do not have an opportunity to use your pool even if you invest the best above ground swimming pools.
Step 1: Arrange and confirm the exact winterizing time
It is extremely important to ensure the closing time as you will make a small plan for preparing other things such as testing the pH level of the pool water, clean and cover the pool, and so on.
Step 2: Check the pH and other chemical levels
Before closing the pool around 1 week, you should test the pH and chemical levels like calcium, and alkalinity. To undertake this, you should purchase the water chemistry test kit. In general, the levels should have:
- pH: 7.2 – 7.8
- Alkalinity: 80 – 120 ppm
- Calcium hardness: follow the winter kit instructions
- Chlorine: 2- 3 ppm
Step 3: Wash the pool, pool filter, and skimmer
When your chemicals modify, you need to get a biodegradable pool cleaner to rinse the waterline and get rid of the buildup to stain the liner. You enable to wash the skimmer, take off any black residue, and clean the whole pool. Oh, do not miss out the pool filter because something will be clogged up.
Step 4: Consider using the suitable winter chemical kit
A perfect winter chemical kit has chlorine shock or the non-chlorine and a closing algaecide. It would be a great idea when using a kit with a metal handle once you have a heater. Please bear in mind that you should not put chlorine shock and the algaecide at once. This is because the chlorine shock could remove the algaecide and it does not work.
Step 5: Clean the filter system
Are you awareness that debris and dirt could stick on a sand filter? Algae and germs could develop from this tool. So, do not forget to rinse the filter system and dry it out in a natural way.
Step 6: Reduce the water level
Pump off the pool by taking a siphon pool pump. If you have a sump pump, you can get this alternation. Or you should follow the manual. Some people also use the winterizing summer waves or another valve to wash the water.
Step 7: Turn all power cords of the pump and filter
Electricity is also the main issue of possible accidents for users. Therefore, it is recommended to close all power sources before closing your pool. Follow the manufacturer instructions for specific equipment.
Step 8: Blow and use an air pillow
An air pillow can disconnect between the accessories and other tools in your pool. It also fills up any tiny hole in the pool. Take this pillow under the swimming pool.
Step 9: Use pool covers
It is necessary to take pool covers and roll these out the pool surface. The outside air cannot move to the pool.
Step 10: Close the pump and filter system
This is the last step you should not miss out. Do not rush to turn these off as you need to check the electricial system to ensure everything will be safe.
What is an air pillow?
Some people do not know the purpose of using an air pillow and they think that it is not essential.
In fact, the pool pillow can compensate for the gathering of snow, rain, and ice through the winter season.
Adding the pillow over the surface of the pool can prevent the outside pressure for the pool. If it gets ice, it also has the chance to spread out the flat. If not, the ice will expand and frozen the walls. The pool will be broken down in the upcoming time.
Since you are there…
How much does it cost to get rid of a built-in pool? This is a question that most of the pool owners should take into account. If you do not make a big hole in your account, then you should close your pool. The first thing you can do knows how to winterize an above ground pool and does an above ground pool freeze solid?