It’s great that your house or your business place has above ground pools or private Intex pools to enjoy swimming with your family or bring best service to your customers.
But you know what else after entertaining time in the water?
You need to know how to care and maintain the condition of your swimming pool.
Why do we say so?
The pool water is used by many people at the same time, plus bacteria, algae, chemicals, and other natural organisms, will pollute your pool and negatively affect your family’s health.
In this case, one of the main ways to take care of the pool is to do pool shock treatment.
You can eliminate bad elements that affect the pool water quality and adjust the chemical amount you need.
If you want to protect your pool in this way, you must choose the best pool shock to use.
Let’s move onto our buying guideline below.
What to Do Before Buying the Pool Shock?
- What to Do Before Buying the Pool Shock?
- Best Pool Shock 2018 – All You Need for Shocking Your Pool
- Everything About Shocking The Pool
- Which Pool Shock Is Suitable for Your Pool?
Keep reading our article to discover how to take care of your swimming pool.
First of all, there are three types of pool shock.
Calcium Hypochlorite, the most popular and powerful kind of pool shock.
You know what?
This product is easy to dissolve and getting burned by the sun’s rays does not alter cyanuric acid levels in your pool. Also, the pool pH will increase after you add it.
And remember: Apply it in the evening when no one uses the pool and re-use your pool only when the level of chlorine has normalized.
Sodium Di-Chlor, slow dissolve and in the form of chlorine powder.
When comparing the solubility with calcium hypochlorite, this type retains in the pool longer.
Besides, its composition contains a stabilizer that increases the level of cyanuric acid in your pool. It can also raise the pool pH level.
When to use?
Use it in the evening, too. Everyone can jump into the pool after about 30 minutes when the chlorine level has decreased.
Potassium Mono Persulfate: Chlorine-free, oxygen-containing components
In fact, this product is different from the two first types when you can apply it anytime and use the pool immediately thanks to its oxygen composition.
Coming with that, the pool cyanuric acid doesn’t change when added this shock.
To oxidize the pool for pollutant elimination and to promote the chlorine effects, you can use this shock.
What’s the reason for choosing the right pool sock?
To not damage your pool or make the condition worse, you should use a right shock to match the water composition or chemistry, the pool type and the purpose of shocking.
Here are some notes for you:
- Use one of three types when cleaning water weekly or for fiberglass and concrete pools.
- Use Calcium Hypochlorite if the water is green.
- Use Potassium Mono Persulfate for vinyl pools and for sanitizing bromine, maintenance every week or before a heavy pool use.
Yearly shock amount for your pool
It’s time for you to get your money’s worth with the pool shock.
Want to know the reason?
This product has a one-year shelf life, and using the out-of-date product isn’t effective.
To know what you need for a year, check it out:
- What’s your pool size? – The bigger the pool is, the more products you use.
- What’s the pool condition? – The amount increases when the pool water often turns green or the pool with safety mesh cover.
- How often do you use the pool? The more you use, the larger amount you need.
Which one is a suitable, powdered or liquid shock?
Between these two types, the liquid shock is better because it does not harm any pool you own.
On the other hand, power shock is made for use in vinyl liners and gunite swimming pools. You can also use this type of shock for cement pools.
- You must thoroughly check the product to avoid damaging the pool liner.
- You can use a pool brush to rub where you pour too thick shock powder.
- You should mix the shock before adding it to the pool or re-circulate in order not to harm your pool.
Best Pool Shock 2018 – All You Need for Shocking Your Pool
You’d just as soon get the best pool shock as save your budget.
|Nava Chemicals StarPlus 1-1301-24 24-Pack Chlorinating Shock||24 packs||1lb/ 10,000 gals|
|Clorox Pool&Spa Shock Xtra Blue||12 packs||1lb/ 12,000 gals|
|Aqua Chem 12101AQU-02 Shock Xtra Blue for Swimming Pools||10 packs||1lb/ 12,000 gals|
|In The Swim Chlorine-Free Pool Swimming Pool Shock||24 packs||1lb/ 12,000 gals|
|In The Swim Chlorine Pool Shock||24 packs||1lb/ 10,000 gals|
We have found the proper products list to introduce to you.
Let’s look at it in detail.
If you want to buy a product to maintain the proper level of chemicals in your pool, we have a perfect product for you:
The Nava Chemicals StarPlus 1-1301-24 24-Pack Chlorinating Shock Treatment for Swimming Pools provides a variety of useful features.
- Provide Dichlor shock for all pools and spas
- Do not cause scale buildup
- Bring pool shock stabilization
- Use 1 pound per 10,000 gallons
- Can kill algae and has pH neutral
The Nava Chemicals StarPlus 1-1301-24 24-Pack Chlorinating Shock Treatment for Swimming Pools is said to support the pool shock treatment.
Here’s the best part.
Thanks to its pH-neutral feature, now your pool pH level are safe when adding it.
To make sure you can use this product correctly, the manufacturer has added all useful information on the package.
After all, it is an easy-to-use product. You do not meet any difficulty when shocking the pool with is because the item comes with the instructions.
You just need to follow the steps. So simple!!!
- Enough chemicals for you to use
- Packed with the clear instruction
- Use for all pool types
- Easy to use
- This product may be a little high cost.
2. Clorox Pool&Spa Shock Xtra Blue
Your need is to kill green, black and mustard algae in your pool.
Don’t have to find further! The Clorox Pool&Spa Shock Xtra Blue is an ideal product for you.
Here are its features:
- Contain in a bottle and easy to open and pour
- Made of crystals killing blue algae
- Destroy all green, black and mustard algae, bacteria
- Work well with cloudy water, contaminants, chlorine odor and eye irritation
- Enhance filter performance and no impact on pH
- Use 1 pound per 12,000 gallons
Coming to the Clorox Pool&Spa Shock Xtra Blue, you will get convenient and easy to use.
This one helps you reject the problems of the pool related to bacteria, swimmer contaminants, algae, water quality, and odors.
With that being said,
This product is helpful for your pool because it doesn’t bleach your liner or affect pH level.
- It is easy to use
- No need to mix and dissolve fast
- Multi-use: remove contaminants and odors, clear water
- The instructions are good
- Work well if adding to the pool deepest end while the pool filter runs
- It may not bring the chlorine levels up
- It has copper algaecide
3. Aqua Chem 12101AQU-02 Shock Xtra Blue for Swimming Pools
A fast pool shock treatment is up-and-coming. Ensure that you will get the most convenience.
If desired to know,
Just to clarify the Aqua Chem 12101AQU-02 Shock Xtra Blue for Swimming Pools:
- Destroy bacteria and algae effectively
- Make the pool water sparkling and no pH impact
- Can use for all types of pool
- Help to decrease chlorine odor and eye irritation
All things considered,
The Aqua Chem 12101AQU-02 Shock Xtra Blue for Swimming Pools is an optimal option to shock your pool.
It makes sure that the water in your pool has pH balanced.
Arguably, when adding this product in the pool, you can use it as soon as 15 minutes after treatment.
- The use is very simple
- The instructions are easy to read
- Keep the pool in perfect condition
- Can use the pool 15 minutes after shocking
- Clear cloudy water, bacteria and algae
- The blue color may wind up in the cartridge filter
- The copper level may affect other chemicals
4. In The Swim Chlorine-Free Pool Swimming Pool Shock
The In The Swim shock used for the pool rarely make the consumers disappointed.
The quality that this brand brought is highly-recommended.
One of them is the In The Swim Chlorine-Free Pool Swimming Pool Shock, which provides outstanding characteristics:
- Made of strong oxidizing agent
- Use for bromine sanitized pools, Chlorine-free shock oxidizes and maintenance every week
- Consist of 38% Potassium Monopersulfate
- Use 1 pound per 12,000 gallons
Being a good shock, the In The Swim Chlorine-Free Pool Swimming Pool Shock is an ideal selection for the spas as well as the commercial pools.
Obviously, this is a sufficient-good product to maintain the sharp and clear condition of your regular chlorine pool.
- The reasonable price
- The results are very precise and quick to perform
- Can swim right after shock treatment
- The instructions are helpful
- Kill dead chlorine cells, algae, bacteria, and contaminants
- It may not work for green water
5. In The Swim Chlorine Pool Shock
Another In The Swim product, the In The Swim Chlorine Pool Shock, is very enjoyable; thanks to the great features that it brings.
How is it good?
- Offer best-chlorinated shock treatment
- Increase the chlorine level
- Include 68% Calcium Hypochlorite to use for fast-acting oxidation
- Use 1 pound per 10,000 gallons
The In The Swim product is a suitable selection for the pool shock treatment.
Foremost, you can act fast when needing a quick chlorine boost.
In this way, you do not have to worry about over-treating your pool.
And one thing to remember, you need to stir it well in water before pouring into the pool.
- Ease to use with clear instruction
- Provide the good result
- Keep the pool clear
- Reasonable price
- It may raise cyanuric acid levels
- It may not dissolve well
Everything About Shocking The Pool
What to check in the package of the pool shock?
You should to check the label of the manufacturer to see what the product is made of, its active and inactive ingredients, whether it has active chlorine or not.
For both types of products, you should read the label details thoroughly.
In case you buy online, you need to know the ingredients of the product by visiting the reputable site to see the reviews of the product you plan to buy.
When to do pool shocking?
There are many times to shock pool.
Here are some suggestions:
- You want to break down the chlorinated compounds or chloramines from the water of your pool.
- When your purpose is to remove bacteria, visible algae and waste disposal after heavy use or pool pollution events.
- Or you can shock the pool when the chlorine concentration has decreased (chlorine shock for pool), a large amount of rain pours into the pool, and when you open and close your swimming pool for users.
Things to prepare before shocking the pool
This product contains chemicals that may be harmful to you, so be sure to prepare before performing any operations with the pool thoroughly.
But first a warning:
The sunlight can affect what you do when you use chlorinated pool shock. Therefore, you need to do after sunset.
There are two types of things for you to prepare.
- For body protection, you need protective gloves and eyewear, shoes covering all your toes and shirt with long sleeve and long pants.
- For your pool, you bring out the suitable pool shock, liquid test kit or water test strip, wood stick to dissolve the shock, and a big bucket of 5 gallons.
How to shock your pool perfectly
Let’s follow five steps of the best way to shock a pool:
Step 1: You should wear all the protection things.
Step 2: You take a test of TC and FC of your pool, then you can know the amount of CC in your pool and how many shock products you need.
TC, FC, and CC are the types of chlorine. They are Free Chlorine, Combined Chlorine, and Total Chlorine. And we have a formula for you: FC + CC = TC.
Step 3: You should read the guideline of the manufacturer in your product package including the steps or charts to help you find the right amount to use.
Step 4: If you use the shock need to be dissolved, you should fill 75% the bucket with clean water. Then, add the pool shock and stir it carefully to make it dissolve.
If not, you determine how many parts of the product you need and use each bag until you have enough shock you want.
Step 5: To spread the shock equally in the pool, you walk around and pour the product carefully with a reasonable amount.
Here’s all you have to do for a pool shock treatment.
But remember this:
You need to wait a period after shocking (depend on the manufacturer’s regulations) to use your pool again safely.
Some notes of the shock for saltwater pool
You can shock a saltwater pool when you want to remove Chloramines, algae, and contaminants. You do the same process like other chlorine pool.
Because a saltwater pool uses the salt cell to create chlorine, you need to balance the chemistry by checking and adjusting your pH, alkalinity and calcium hardness.
After that, you find the proper dosage of the shock to add to your pool.
So, is it all clear for you to understand the pool shock? And you know what is the best pool shock?
It is essential that your pool shock must work well in a proper price.
Now, are you ready to explore our recommended list of top-rated pool shocks?
Which Pool Shock Is Suitable for Your Pool?
In short, what do you need from a pool shock?
The best swimming pool shocks will help you do the treatment for the pool quickly and you will have a clear, clean pool with good water quality.
So why don’t you give them a try? Let’s check it out on the shopping website or in your local chemical shop.
And one last thing to remember:
Your pools have various types, usage conditions as well as different chemical compositions in the water. You need to understand it to buy the right care products.
Related topics of pool treatment and protection you need to learn about: