- 10 Best Above Ground Pool Pump Reviews of 2019
- 1. Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump
- 2. Hayward SP1580X15 Pump
- 3. Best Choice Products Pro 2400GPH Pump
- 4. Harris H1572730 Pump
- 5. Blue Wave NE6171B
- 6. Pentair 340039 SuperFlo High Performance Single Speed Pool Pump
- 7. Doheny’s Replacement Swimming Pool Pump
- 8. Zodiac PB4-60 Polaris Booster Pump
- 9. Intex 28633EG Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pool Pump
- 10. Hayward SP2610X15 Super Pool Pump
- What Are Components of An Pool Pump?
- How To Maintain Your Above Ground Pool Pump?
- The Final Thoughts
Above ground pool is a perfect idea in summer, if you don’t have much time and budget for arriving at any beach. Most houses have one but to use it freely and comfortably, you need to invest in some accessories such as the best pool cover pump, and the best pool pumps of 2019 which are an economical way. And your family will have a fun time to be together. When is the best time to run pool pump in summer?
To have a right choice among hundreds of models on the market like the best variable speed pool pump, the best inground pool pump, you must determine your setup and demands in advance then consider which one can meet what you want. If you need the best pool filter for above ground pool, can check reviews here.
10 Best Above Ground Pool Pump Reviews of 2019
After having a basic look, now, it’s time to discover our list of the top options. Although there are a lot of available models on the market, to know which one suits your system, you have to determine some elements before going to a store or visit a website such as calculating the flow rate as well as the feet of head.
And, remember what is the good above ground pool pump for others that doesn’t mean it also fits your demands. In this part, I highly recommend you the ideal units for each specific circumstance but all of them aren’t ranked in any order.
To save your valuable time, I make a comparison table of top 10 best pool pumps. I will list in details to give you a general look:
|Product name||Feature||Our rating|
|Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump||6-function control valve||4.3/5 stars|
|Hayward SP1580X15 Above-Ground Pool Pump||A replacement lid O-Ring||4.4/5 stars|
|Best Choice Products Pro 2400GPH||ETL-listed mark||3.8/5 stars|
|Harris H1572730 Above Ground Pool Pump||Advanced engineering||4.4/5 stars|
|Blue Wave NE6171B Above Ground Pool Pump||Durable polymer construction||3.8/5 stars|
|Pentair 340039 SuperFlo High||Quiet operation||4.1/5 stars|
|Doheny's Replacement Swimming Pool Pump||Corrosive resistance||4.2/5 stars|
|Zodiac PB4-60 Polaris Booster Pump||Ultra-high efficiency||4.1/5 stars|
|Intex 28633EG Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pool Pump||Double insulated layers||4.2/5 stars|
|Hayward SP2610X15 Super Pool Pump||Prevents blockage in your pool pump||4.2/ 5 stars|
1. Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump
The Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump provides a lot of benefits to cartridge filters as well as DE (Diatomaceous Earth) above-ground pool pumps. Moreover, this sand filter pump comes with the standard of many above ground pool kits of this brand. Its lifespan lasts longer than the traditional models.
- Excellent water filtration
- 6-function control valve
- Hassle-free experience
- The strainer basket
- A pump flow rate of 3.000 gallons per hour
No matter what size of your pool is, you can offer the filtering support for it because of processing up to 3.000 gallons per hour. While the 6-function control valve lets you maintain as desired, the sand provides you the desired water filtration. Intex Krystal clear sand filter pump works on a standard outlet having a motor under 1 HP. One more thing, you need a sand replacement after every 5 years of normal use.
- Works well and quickly
- Minimize the amount of hassle
- Durable materials and heavy duty
- Easy to read the pressure gauge
- Easy to understand and follow the included setup and installation
- Creates a moderate amount of noise while operating
- Can’t make the water crystal clear completely in a short time
- Nondurable ON/OFF switch
- The simple timer limits the operation time per day
2. Hayward SP1580X15 Pump
Hayward SP1580X15 Above Ground Pool Pump provides users a strong power to operate but in a quiet environment which is a perfect option for sure
- A replacement lid O-Ring
- High performance
- Clear strainer cover
Normally, most 1.5 HP pool pumps produce the big noise. Although I can’t say that it’s quiet completely, this model doesn’t create an environment of noise pollution. This pool pump comes with an outstanding feature – a corrosion-proof engineering. To operate, you need to plug a 6-foot power cord into a standard household outlet. In particular, Hayward SP1580X15 works well on the big pools which are up to 21.000 gallons.
- Works powerfully but pretty quiet
- Reasonable price
- Simple to operate
- Hard to return
- No on/off switch
- Not too powerful
3. Best Choice Products Pro 2400GPH Pump
The Best Choice Products has many options such as 4500 GPH Sand Filter Pool Pump and 2400 GPH Sand Filter Pool Pump but all of them can keep any sized above ground pool free of debris and clean.
- ETL-listed mark
- Being CSA certified
- 10.000 gallons
- Included thermal protected and a strainer basket
After installing this product, there is no need to worry that your water isn’t filtered properly or goes anywhere because it holds a remarkable amount of sand – 43 pounds. In the assembling process, it may be hard for some kinds of pools to hook up the hoses for Best Choice Products Pro 2400GPH but once you are done the installation, that is a worthy period of time and investment – a crystal clear water result.
- Certified CSA
- Suits with the big pools
- Works well
- Great price
- Can appear a small leak around the pressure gauge if you use it more than 12 hours per day
- Takes a pretty long time to clear your pool from green to blue
- Hard to understand instruction
4. Harris H1572730 Pump
For a small amount of money, this Harris above ground pool pump can offer you a professional outcome even it exceeds the requirements of ETL and CSA.
- Stainless steel 1.5 HP motor shaft
- Advanced engineering
- 1.5-inch internal threading and 2.5-inch external threading
No matter what your pool is, the 1.5-inch connections of the suction and discharge ports can provide you a standard installation especially operating off of a standard household grounded outlet also. The durability is extended thanks to the reinforced thermoplastic material. This Harris H1572730 above ground pool pump is an ideal option for those who are in need of a model running fast but cheap and durable.
- Work well
- Quiet motor
- Good price
- Not too powerful
- Manually unplug
- May overheat and shut off if it’s hot outside
5. Blue Wave NE6171B
Blue Wave NE6171B is a self-priming above ground pool pump which suits to install in any above ground pool.
- Durable polymer construction
- Clear lid for easy cleaning
- Dual-port design
- 110 volt AC with 6-ft cord
There are available 2 options of 1.5 HP and 1 HP. Its clear lid lets you clean the model quickly and easily. Moreover, the dual-port design allows you to install this particular above ground pool pump vertical or horizontal as desired. Compared to other pumps with the same design, this is more expensive a little but its result shows a worthy investment.
- This replacement motor works great to vacuum out any pool independently
- Extremely quiet
- Works perfectly
- Easy to set up
- Small head
- Must purchase adapters for Intex or Hayward pools
- Not an on/off switch
- Not comes with a timer
6. Pentair 340039 SuperFlo High Performance Single Speed Pool Pump
For over 40-years history of innovative hydraulic engineering, Pentair 340039 SuperFlo moves more water efficiently and quietly with a lower cost of operation. It not only takes less your effort but also lasts longer.
- Superior interOver-sized strainer basket for long-term cleaning
- The see-through lid for quick and easy inspection
- This pool pump comes with 1 and 1/2 horsepower. Therefore, if you would like to install it for your house, you yourself have to panal flow for minimizing hydraulic noise
- Quiet operationy all fee relating to power connections as well as water hoses. Like other single speed pool pumps, the design of Pentair 340039 is simple. It only focuses on the significant power so the price is pretty low.
Its see-through lid allows you to check inside easily especially due to an over-sized strainer basket, you aren’t required to make a regular clean.
The Pentair 340039 SuperFlo suits the busy ones who don’t have much time for the maintenance and inspection.
- Heavy duty
- Works strongly
- Easy to install
- Leaks from the seal plate between the motor and pump
- Nondurable plastic cover
- Makes noise because of being too powerful
7. Doheny’s Replacement Swimming Pool Pump
As the name suggests, Doheny’s is a great replacement for any best pool pumps
- Dependable performance
- Corrosive resistance
- Big and easy to clean filter basket
Apart from 1 and 1/2 horsepower, this Doheny’s above ground pool pump has a 6-foot cord. However, for some applications, you will need an extension cord. Pay attention that it’s not easy to connect the connectors with filters and hoses so you need to be patient to do that. When starting up, the model pulls much power that may trip a breaker if you connect to the power source without carefulness.
- Affordable price
- Works quietly
- Pretty easy to clean the basket
- Set up and pump quickly and efficiently
- Not durable
- No leaks
- Has no on/off switch
8. Zodiac PB4-60 Polaris Booster Pump
Zodiac PB4-60 Polaris Booster Pump is famous for the following features: high performance, energy efficiency, and durability. The manufacturer designs this product for Polaris’s pressure-side cleaners.
- 3/4 horsepower motor (ultra-high efficiency)
- Egonomic drain plug
- Heavy duty single piece base
Specifically, this pool pump comes with an extremely low water flow which requires your model works at a lower speed so it helps you save both energy and pump life. You can choose one of these options: low-speed or 2-speed operation. The combination of compact look and superior material create the quiet operation and long-term life.
- Pretty easy and simple to install
- Works quietly
- Great price
- Hard to cut the hose
- Hard to pull the sleeve over the hose
- In spite of an outdoor pump, the manual said that you need to keep it away from rain and sun
9. Intex 28633EG Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pool Pump
Among all models, this pool pump is considered as the most powerful pool pump of Intex to keep the water in your pool clear always in this summer.
- Easy to use
- Simple to replace
- Double insulated layers
- Air release valve
- Sediment flush valve
The 2.500 GPH Intex Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump provides a powerful circulation to move the water in the pool and keep it as clean and clear as possible. To keep your pump in the best condition always, you can rinse the filter or replace a new one thanks to the filter cartridge system, if your model has the broken or worn signs.
It suits above ground pools up to 24 feet in diameter. In particular, its built-in timer set the run times to fit the size of your pool and water volume of 2-12 hour cycles. If using Intex 28633EG, there is no need to worry about air trapped in the filter chamber or the flush valve for sediment because the air release valve will release them.
It not only is easy to set up but has two insulated layers for durability as well. Due to the Hydro Aeration Technology inlet fitting, this model can satisfy both Intex pool and any other brand backyard pool. It can be said this is the best above ground pool filter on the market today.
- Works powerful and quiet
- Easy to set up
- Fit to any pool, regardless of the size
- May leak in some cases
- The weak inlet hose
- Easy to be frozen and cracked in winter
10. Hayward SP2610X15 Super Pool Pump
This Hayward Super Pump major capacity model is always famous for the technologically advanced application and many other outstanding features which customers can expect
- Traps leaves
- Prevents blockage in your pool pump
- High reliability and performance
- See-through strainer cover
- Easy to install
The balanced Noryl impeller provides many benefits such as a balanced operation as well as high water flow rate with less horsepower requirement. The super-sized debris collection basket at 110 cubic inches doesn’t require your regular clean.
The design of swing-aside hand knobs are smart because you can easily remove the strainer cover. And the see-through plastic cover allows you to know everything happens inside. When it comes to material, the corrosion-proof contributes to last the lifespan and to operate free of trouble for years.
- Saves electricity
- Runs quiet
- May leak through a crack
- Running a long while, the motor becomes hotter
- Need to be installed by a professional
What Are Components of An Pool Pump?
Before going into details, you have to know what is the above ground pool pump and its components? If you don’t know what it is, an above ground pool pump is usually located below the level of water. Normally, it has 3 main components:
There are 2 options: electric and air-cooled motors. This part is very important because it takes the responsibility for opening the environment. Thus, you need to pay attention to any excess water inside the unit through the cooling vents on its underside.
This part is located in the shaft end of the motor that turns and pushes the water in through the hair, lint trap at the pump end. At the same time, the impeller also pulls the water out of the pump through a pipe and pulls the water down to the filter.
You need to make sure that it’s free of debris clogged in the impeller. You can recognize this condition through the signs of the reading low-pressure gauge, the decreased amount of water flowing back to the pool.
The hair and lint trap
This is located in the pump end which takes the responsibility for keeping the impeller away from debris assembly.
You need to check this part at least twice a week to ensure it’s empty since the clogged hair and lint tramps result in the restricted water flow. Even the more serious case is that your model pumps air in place of water (called “loss of prime”). If you don’t check regularly, it’s possible for the motor of the best pool pump to be burned.
How To Maintain Your Above Ground Pool Pump?
As I said earlier, checking your unit regularly is very important and essential because it lets you know when your pool pump needs to be cleaned in time, when is the best time of day to run pool pump. Don’t lazy, cleaning and maintaining help your model work properly all the time and anytime is best time to run pool pump
- In fact, letting an above ground pool work all day doesn’t hurt it but it’s hard to avoid aging its components in a short time. You should spend at least 10-12 hours a day for maintenance to make sure a clean pool and great components of a pool pump. However, if your pool is still dirty, you can increase the amount of running time.
- Don’t forget to check the manual of owner for cleaning and recharging instruction. Generally, everyone can follow this guide, backwashing the filter every week and treating your pool with chemicals once per season.
- To remove the development of algae in any corner and angle of your pool, you had better wipe down its walls and floor at least once a week. Keep in mind to vacuum the whole pool once a week as well.
- Monitor bromine, alkalinity, Ph, and chlorine by using 4-way test strip every week for adjustment accordingly. Typically, if you run your pool pump more, you won’t need to use chemicals in your pool too much
- Other parts are also in need of emptying including backwash the pool filter, pump motor basket, and skimmer basket.
The Final Thoughts
In sum, if you want to have a wonderful summer at home, the best pool pumps is very important to make the water in your pool as clear and clean as possible. What’s more, this way is more beneficial than others because it’s safe, easy to install and maintain especially cheap. You can save a lot of money for other things.
Depending on the different demand, you will have a different choice. For example, some are looking for a variable speed pool pump while others choose the best pool heater pump.
Have you found out a suitable product for your need? Please let me know your idea in the comment section.